Check out this largely-reputation-based ranking of multinational health companies by Covalence: Covalence Ethical Ranking 2008 for the Health Care sector. (Released 2 months ago, in January.)
Rank | Company
2. Johnson & Johnson
4. Bristol Myers Squibb
5. Boehringer Ingelheim
8. Astra Zeneca
9. Eli Lilly
10. Novo Nordisk
13. Baxter International
14. Sanofi aventis
16. Merck & Co Inc
17. CIGNA Corp
19. Medco Health Solutions Inc.
23. Boston Scientific
25. Zimmer Holding
26. Daiichi Sankyo
28. Astellas Pharma
30. Schering Plough
31. Gilead Sciences Inc
Acknowledging the limitations of such rankings, here’s some food for thought:
1) As an investor, which of these companies seems like a good risk?
2) As a potential employee, which of these companies would you be proud to work for?
3) If you were on an ethics board reviewing a research proposal funded by a drug company, which of these companies would make you want to be very, very careful?
4) Which of these companies have particularly good or bad reputations that might not be warranted?
5) What aspects of bio-pharma company ethics might not be well-captured by the kinds of methods groups like Covalence use to assess corporate ethics generally?
(These things are always imperfect. Make sure to take a look at Covalence’s methodology.)